Thursday, October 3, 2013

Summer 2013

It’s amazing how fast time flies as I am now over halfway through my internship with MMF!  Thank you so much for all of you who responded and were so encouraging when I was struggling so much.  I’m so honored by your continual support of my thoughts and visions for this season.  Since being back, there has been such a range of emotions and experiences.
Inline image 1
Me and a couple of my good friends celebrating my birthday in August.  

This internship has proved to be almost perfect for me.  I’ve really gotten the opportunity to get my hands dirty, sometimes very literally.  I guess when I think of doing an internship I think of mostly doing menial tasks and observing those who actually know what they are doing.  I was fully prepared for that to be the case here, but, I have been very pleasantly surprised at how much I’ve been able to take part in.  My team is very new to doing community development with this model and so we have all been able to learn together and roll out this very new program.  This project seeks to mobilize local churches to reach out to their local communities.  Thus helping self-sustainability and addressing a host of other issues because it works through a local body of people who are already present in their communities, rather than bringing outside resources in.  Therefore, we invite pastors and volunteers who already live in those communities and teach them principles and how practically to go into their communities.

I have gotten to experience so many different things in these last four months.  I have gone into villages where you eat what you grow or can catch and need to walk 15 minutes to find a cell phone signal.  I have gotten the chance to develop teaching materials and then go teach.  I’ve gotten to experience many of Thailand’s tribal communities, gain a deeper understanding of their cultures, and see their villages.  In this, I have left nights of teaching, encouraged and excited, absolutely loving what I do.  I have also sat in meetings feeling completely out of my depth and doubting myself and my abilities.  However, this is a good place to be, keeps me humble and dependent on those around me and God to get me through the hard spots.  It has been such a privilege to be here and to get to be part of transformation of entire communities.  I have loved seeing when our participants really start understanding new concepts and principles.  It has been something that gives me so much life and I just get so excited to see what will happen in the coming months and years!

Inline image 2
Taking a break from harvesting tapioca in a Mong village 

I still have a remaining three months at MMF.  Afterward, I will go back to YWAM and hopefully being starting a new project within YWAM.  I won’t say too much about this because I’m still having conversations with my leaders and trying to dream about how and what we will do.  However, I will say that I’m very excited with the possibilities.

A little note on my finances:  My monthly support has dropped to about half of what I need month to month.  I need a minimum of 700 USD a month for my expenses. This covers my rent, bills, communication expenses and food.   I have received a couple of large donations recently that have really helped covered extra expenses and my lack.  I just wanted everyone to know where I was at.  I tend to shy away from this but several people have asked for an update recently.  Also if you would like to partner with either a monthly or one time donation the directions are below.

Inline image 3
The Local Market Where I Live in Bandu

I also have a few large expenses coming up that I’m praying about.  I have to go to Australia to renew my visa for Thailand in November.  I need about 1500USD for this trip.  This is the most immediate expense.  In the New Year, I have two big ones coming up.  I need a ticket home in February because my beautiful, wonderful sister is getting married!  While I’m home, I will also need to buy a new computer.  I just wanted to mention these things in advance so if you would like to give or help with these projects in particular and would like to plan in advance, you may do so.

I can’t thank you enough for everything you do for me.  I appreciate every one of you, just your encouragement and support helps me in more ways than you know.  Thank you for who you are!  I couldn't do what I do without you.  May you be blessed in everything you do!

Much love,
Joanna          

Checks can be mailed to:

YWAM Montana
501 Blacktail Road
Lakeside, Montana 59922The check can be made out to YWAM Montana, please put my project number 3677 on the memo line. You can include my name on a separate piece of paper if you wish. 

PayPal:
For those not needing tax deduction I do have Paypal (linked to this email: joannageiger@gmail.com). 

If you would like a tax deduction but would like to use Paypal you can send it through accounting@ywammontana.org and still get a tax receipt.  Please choose the personal tab and send a gift and be sure to include my project number (3677) in the memo box so that they know who is to receive the donation.

Australia:
For those in Australia I have an Aussie account as well BSB: 923100 and my account number is 30933826. 

No comments:

Post a Comment